Q: How can I protect my screenplay when I send it out?
Thank you for your question.
Creativity theft is not as common as many new writers may believe, but it’s important to always safeguard your script. Remember, ideas cannot be protected - only the unique way the story is presented (the form it takes in your screenplay).
Here are a few ways you can protect your script:
- Register the copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office
- Keep a paper trail of your drafts and submissions
- When revising a draft, always create a new file and number each new version of the script (instead of just rewriting over the previous version)
- When submitting your screenplay, include your name on the cover page and in the header of every subsequent page
- Only send out secured files that can’t be altered